Do I have to be a Biology Major to participate in BIOME?

Yes! Majoring in Biology is a prerequisite to participate in BIOME.

How do I sign up for BIOME using the Residential Life Housing Preference Form?

You should fill out the Housing Preference Form if you’re participating in the full BIOME FIG experience, as well as a Housing and Dining Hall Agreement. Then, once you fill out the BIOME application and are accepted to the program for the FIG, you will be guaranteed housing in Gateway Hall. If you are only participating in the orientation part of BIOME before classes start (and not the full fall-semester FIG experience), you’ll fill out the Housing Preference Form and won’t necessarily live in Gateway Hall with the BIOME FIG students.

Do I have to live in the Residence Hall to participate in BIOME?

Depends! If you choose to participate in the full semester-long BIOME FIG program you are required to live in the residence hall assigned to your specific BIOME FIG (Gateway for BIOME A and B). If you opt to only participate in the orientation part of BIOME before classes start, then your housing could vary.

When will I be able to move into my room?

BIOME move-in is on Saturday, August 10, 2019. Most other students will move in on August 14.

Do I move into my permanent room?

Yes! During BIOME move-in, students will be occupying their permanent housing assignments.

Can I participate in BIOME and go through formal sorority recruitment?

Unfortunately, no. Sorority events conflict with BIOME lectures and activities. Students can join a sorority during their sophomore year.

Can I be in the Honors College and also participate in BIOME?

Yes! You don’t have to live in an Honors Res Hall to be a part of the Honors College. Many students in the Honors College don’t live in the residence hall with the Honors FIGS, so it’s no big deal to live in Gateway with BIOME. You’ll still get all the perks of taking Honors courses at MU, enrolling on the Honors student registration date, etc. If you are living in an Honors Res Hall but wish to participate in the BIOME orientation program before fall classes start, that’s an option, too.

Can I participate in BIOME and Marching Mizzou?

Possibly, with permission from the Director of Marching Mizzou. We have excused students from evening BIOME activities in order to participate in Marching Mizzou’s evening practices, and Marching Mizzou has excused BIOME students from morning practice time in order to participate in BIOME.

How much does BIOME cost?

BIOME costs $250 for the orientation program before classes start. The FIG component of BIOME has no additional cost.

Does the cost cover meals?

Yes! A portion of the $250 covers the cost of food until the dining halls open and most evening meals during the week, as well as housing in the residence hall for 4 nights prior to the start of hall contracts.

How do I pay for BIOME?

We accept checks or money orders made out to the University of Missouri. We cannot accept credit card payments or Student Charge.

Are textbooks and lab supplies included in the BIOME fee?

All textbooks and lab supplies, except protective eye-wear, are provided. Students are required to provide their own protective eye-wear, which can be purchased at the Mizzou Store.

What if I have credit (either by AP, IB, or dual enrollment) for biology or chemistry?

Even if you have credit for biology or chemistry, you will need to take one of these courses to participate in BIOME. Many upper level Biological Sciences students recommend taking the MU college science courses even if you have credit coming in because they are the foundation courses for the rest of your science career. If you have questions, please contact the Division of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office at 573-882-4068.

Are there scholarships to help cover the cost of BIOME?

Students who have financial need can be considered for scholarships. To qualify, students must have completed a FAFSA application. They also need to submit a 500-word essay that addresses their career aspirations and why or how a degree in Biological Sciences aids those aspirations.

Can my friends and family visit me during BIOME?

Not really. The BIOME week will be packed full with lectures and activities. We encourage students to use their free time to study and form friendships with their BIOME colleagues.

Will I need a parking permit for the week of BIOME?

If you have a car, you will need to purchase a parking permit from Parking and Transportation. The permit will be valid for the whole semester.

Will I receive course credit for BIOME?

You do not receive credit for lectures attended during BIOME since it is an optional orientation program. However, the material taught during the lectures will appear again in the introductory biology and chemistry courses.

How do I cancel my BIOME registration?

You can cancel your BIOME registration by emailing Carol Martin. Before doing so, please review the cancellation deadlines and refund schedule below. You also should be aware that if you cancel, you might have to change your housing assignment since BIOME is part of the FIG program.

  • Students who apply before March 22, 2019 will be given priority consideration for admittance to the program. After being notified that you have been accepted into the program, the $250 program fee must be paid by May 1, 2019 to secure the spot. Students applying from March 22 to June 28 will be wait-listed for the program and notified of acceptance if seats are still available. Payments for those applying after the priority deadline are due within 15 business days after notification of acceptance.

Cancellation Deadline:

Funds received and posted May 15, 2019 or before will be refunded as follows:

  • Notification by May 15, 2019      100%
  • Notification by May 31, 2019        50%
  • After May 31, 2019                         0%

No funds paid after June 1st will be refunded.  NO EXCEPTIONS!

Who can I talk to if I have more questions?

You can contact the Division of Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office at 573-882-4068.